House Democrats have blocked the emergency coronavirus stimulus bill while putting American lives at risk as they try to squeeze in their own items on their liberal wish list; plus more of today’s top stories in conservative politics.
Democrats block coronavirus stimulus to squeeze in unrelated items on wish list
Eager to never let a crisis go to waste, Democrats are putting American lives at risk by blocking the coronavirus stimulus bill as they try to hold Republicans over the barrel, seeking to include numerous unrelated items on their liberal wish list. (This list goes on and on, only a portion has been shown below).
What do these items have to do with coronavirus?
Here are some of the unrelated items that Democrats are trying to squeeze in as part of the coronavirus stimulus package:
- $35 million for the Kennedy Center
- $300 million for the National Endowment of the Arts
- $300 million for the National Endowment of the Humanities
- $100 million for NASA
- $278 million for the IRS
- Canceling all the current debt of the Postal Service
- $10,000 student loan forgiveness
Items related to immigration:
- Department of Homeland Security to automatically extend visas and work authorizations expiring within the next year, including to those with DACA and temporary protected status
- Limits on US customs and border patrol’s ability to shut down processing centers under a health crisis
- Funding for certain sanctuary cities
Green New Deal items:
- Full offset of airline emissions by 2025
- Greenhouse gas statistics for individual flights
- $1 billion “cash for clunkers” airplane program where Department of Transportation purchases fuel-inefficient planes from airlines in exchange for agreeing to purchase newer models
- Expansive tax credit for solar and wind energy
Restrictions on companies receiving coronavirus assistance:
- Requiring one-third of board members to be chosen by workers
- Retirement plans for community newspaper employees
- Permanent paid leave
- Permanent raise to $15 an hour wage for employees at companies receiving assistance
- Labor union representative on every airline’s Board of Directors
- Required early voting
- Required same-day voter registration
- And this list goes on and on.
Trump slams Pelosi’s wish list: “Democrats want the virus to win”
President Donald Trump sounded off against the enormous liberal wish list that house Democrats have introduced as they try to leverage unrelated items onto the coronavirus stimulus bill.
Trump tweeted: “Republicans had a deal until Nancy Pelosi rode into town from her extended vacation. The Democrats want the Virus to win? They are asking for things that have nothing to do with our great workers or companies. They want Open Borders & Green New Deal. Republicans shouldn’t agree!”
Dr. Fauci: Media should quit ‘pitting’ me against Trump
National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases Director Dr. Anthony Fauci spoke out on Tuesday expressing that he wishes the media would stop “pitting” his advice about coronavirus against that of President Trump. Instead, Dr. Fauci is encouraging people to “look ahead at the challenge we have together.”
“That is really unfortunate,” Dr. Fauci said on Tuesday morning. “I would wish that would stop because we have a much bigger problem here than trying to point out differences.”
“Fundamentally at the core,” Fauci added, “[these] are not differences.”